Uploading videos to YouTube is free and a relatively simple process whether you're using a mobile device or a PC. However, not all video file formats are supported by the platform, while others may fail to upload correctly. To successfully upload your videos to YouTube, it is crucial to make sure the platform supports the video file format. Among the most shared YouTube video formats is MP4.
In this post, you'll learn how to upload MP4 to YouTube without problems.
Can you upload mp4 to YouTube?
"Can I upload MP4 to YouTube" is a common question asked by many people online. The short answer is "Yes," but some videos can be a problem. From YouTube Official Website, the platform supports various video formats, including MP4 files. However, most people encounter problems uploading certain MP4 files to YouTube. And the main reason is that MP4 is a video container format encoded by different codecs and profiles.
YouTube recommends choosing specific encoding settings, such as the AVC/H.264 video codec for any .mp4 file extension and AAC-LC audio codec with 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, or 96 kHz sample rates. This also includes MP4 subtitle data, and if the MP4 video contains YouTube unsupported codecs, YouTube will reject the video instantly.
If you have an MP4 video you want to upload to YouTube, software like Pinnacle Studio can help you convert the video file to correct the codec and profile and match YouTube's supported formats.
How to upload mp4 to YouTube
Although MP4 file formats may look the same, differences in profile and codec can make it impossible to upload to YouTube. This is because particular MP4 files have incompatible codec or profiles for YouTube, causing problems when uploading. Thus, it is essential to convert the format to correct codec and profiles before sharing your content on YouTube. Here is how you upload your file.
- Open YouTube and log in to your account.
- On the top right side of the window, click Upload Video.
- Tap Upload at the top right and select the MP4 video you intend to upload to YouTube. You can also utilize drag and drop, and the video will start to upload automatically.
- Edit the essential information for the MP4 video, including description and tags
- Once done, click Publish to make your MP4 video live.
If your file isn't uploading, you may need to convert it to a different format.
How to Convert an MP4 for YouTube with Pinnacle Studio
- Download and install Pinnacle Studio: Download and run the installation file and follow on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
- Open and edit video: Open the Pinnacle Studio and conduct edits, if needed, before converting the video. This may include adding effects, transitions, and other content such as subtitles.
- Choose the format: Because you're converting the MP4 video to a file that YouTube supports, open the Export tab and choose a format supported by YouTube. Pinnacle Studio allows you to also select your preferred quality before converting the video. Pinnacle Studio also lets you upload to YouTube straight from the software.
- Convert the video: Once done, select Start Export to convert the video to the preset destination folder.
Most converted MP4 videos can have too large file sizes, especially if the video is too long or has a high resolution. For example, you may convert a 4min 30s 4K MP4 video and have a file size of about 500 MB. Hence, you may consider compressing the video file size to meet YouTube upload requirements and ensure the video uploads faster.
Compressing MP4 video size helps adjust frame rate, bit rate, and other video features without losing noticeable quality. Through MP4 video editing, you can also perform various tricks ranging from video trimming to cutting and splitting where necessary.
Other file formats YouTube supports
Here are some of the other formats that YouTube supports
- HEVC (h265)
Most people face problems uploading MP4 videos to YouTube due to differences in file format, profile, and codec. However, having the apt video converter can solve the issue and provide seamless MP4 video uploads to YouTube. If you have an MP4 video you need to convert or edit before uploading to YouTube, Pinnacle Studio has you covered.